The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers to stop using products known as Miracle or Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, MMS, Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol, and Water Purification Solution (WPS) due to numerous reports of significant health issues.

The products contain 28% sodium chlorite in distilled water. Package directions instruct consumers to mix the sodium chlorite solution with citric acid turning the mixture into chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent. Sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide are active ingredients found in disinfectants and are not intended for ingestion. 

The Agency had previously warned consumers in 2010 about MMS products. However, these products are still being promoted and sold by many independent distributors on social media with unapproved claims to treat autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, flu, among other conditions. Consumers are strongly urged not to purchase or use these products. 

Continue Reading

Recently, new reports of individuals experiencing severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening hypotension caused by dehydration and acute liver failure after drinking these products were submitted to the FDA for review. Certain product labels have even claimed that vomiting and diarrhea are common adverse reactions and are evidence that the product is working. 

Related Articles

Consumers are advised to seek immediate medical attention if they have experienced adverse effects after ingesting any of these products.

“Miracle Mineral Solution and similar products are not FDA-approved, and ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach,” said FDA Acting Commissioner Ned Sharpless, MD. “The FDA will continue to track those selling this dangerous product and take appropriate enforcement actions against those who attempt to evade FDA regulations and market unapproved and potentially dangerous products to the American public.”

For more information visit

This article originally appeared on MPR